Last week I talked about the importance of integrating your SEO content and social media marketing. I also mentioned it’s important to make sure your site is designed to be SEO friendly. I mentioned it, but I never explained it.
The other day, I talked to a Web designer whose clients we write Web content and handle the social media marketing for. We talked about his latest project in comparison to a website he wants to model that project after. He asked for my thoughts of what we could learn from the model site in integrating SEO into his latest Web project. I’ll tell you what I told him and more.
Quick SEO tips for Web designers:
- Make your text readable – It’s best to use simple black and white text, but just make it as readable as possible.
- Buttons – Let search bots know where they should go. If a link leads to your services, title it ‘Services,’ not ‘What we do.’
- Use Bold Text – Tell the search bots what’s important about your site, but not too much.
- Add a site map – An XML for the search bots and an HTML site map for your users.
- Registration period – Okay, this one isn’t really Web design or SEO related, but it’s a good tip. If you only registered your site for a year, search bots won’t consider you very serious. Register your site for at least five years.
There are more, but those five should keep you busy for a while.
Any other ideas?